You are now leaving
Rethink Depression
Friends & family
Rethink icon

From the outside looking in

Down arrow Scroll for articles

Article from Huffingtonpost.com

Everyone has their bad days; when they are sad for no apparent reason or just don’t want to get out of bed. But for someone with depression, these aren’t just days. These feelings and thoughts can go on for months and, for some, there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

If you have never experienced depression yourself, it can be difficult to understand what is going on in the head of someone who is living with it. It can be frustrating, confusing and trying, particularly if you are in a spousal relationship. Nevertheless, as hard as it is, the support you give to your loved one is irreplaceable and will mean the world to them, even if they may have trouble showing it.

In this blog from the Huffington Post, Hope Racine describes her experiences with her loved one with depression and discusses the time it took to really understand what they were going through.

“Depression has no rhyme or reason. It just happens… I didn’t understand this at the time. I found myself wondering at times why Hubert was taking things so hard. He can get past this, I thought to myself, all he has to do is just try.”

Hope Racine

In her article, Hope shares some of the things that she has learnt through her experience, and how these have helped her better understand her loved one’s depression.

You can read the full article here

Remember, depression is no one’s fault, and it’s okay to take some time to look after yourself. For more information and advice about caring for yourself while caring for a loved one, the European Federation of Associations of Families of People with Mental Illness (EUFAMI) have created a “Caring for two” brochure.

icon download

You may also like...

Tackling depression in the workplace

As the leading cause of disability worldwide, depression represents a significant burden on the workplace.1 In particular,...

Signs & Symptoms

Depression is a broad mix of symptoms that affect different people in different ways.1 Symptoms can vary in type, duration,...

Stigma in the workplace

Within the workplace environment, mental health can be a taboo subject. People can feel insecure about their condition and may find it...